Breathe Pennsylvania’s School Asthma Initiative (SAI) utilizes “Best Practice” asthma guidelines by providing education and resources to school personnel—including school nurses and students with asthma—that help them to understand and handle the management of asthma in schools. Breathe Pennsylvania can provide school personnel with:
- School Nurse Asthma Training: Current Asthma Classifications/Treatment Guidelines and Breath Sounds Training
- School Nurse Asthma Tool Kit – Breathe Pennsylvania is pleased to provide a free School Asthma Tool Kit for a district’s school nurse office. The school making the request must have standing orders for albuterol and/or nebulizer for use at school. The Kit is provided to school districts enrolled in the Students with Asthma K-12 Program. The tool kit includes one (1) albuterol MDI after application is received/processed, two (2) spacers/chambers, and three (3) Lite-Aire disposable chambers.
- Education for Students with Asthma Program – Two (2) one-hour sessions for K-12th grade.
- Student Asthma Kit – Contains an Asthma Action Profile, peak flow meter, and spacer provided to each K-12th grade student who completes the “Education for Students with Asthma” program.
- School Personnel Asthma Training- A free one-hour School Personnel Asthma Training on asthma basics and responding to an asthma attack in the classroom, on a field trip, or during an after-school event.
Educational Resources for All School Personnel:
- Asthma in the Classroom – Provides an overview of what to look for and how to proceed if a child is having an asthma attack.
- Educational videos can be found at our YouTube channel.
For more information, please contact:
Jeannie Simms, BA, AE-C®
Senior Director of Asthma Educaiton and Programs
724-772-1750 (office) or 412-855-4594 (cell)
Counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Fayette, Greene, Indiana,
Jessica Schuman, RN, BSN, AE-C®
Director of Asthma Education and Programs
Counties: Beaver, Butler, Lawrence and Washington.
Or visit our Contact page