It looks like a USB drive, comes in colors like black, rose gold, and turquoise, and it is available in flavors like fruit medley, mango, cool mint, crème brulee, and Virginia tobacco. What else do we know about the JUUL? It has a loyal and growing following among youth.
Over the past few years, teen perception of risks in using electronic cigarettes has decreased, and it’s evident on social media. Youth can be seen touting their use on social media posts by sneaking puffs in classrooms, school bathrooms, and buses. Experts believe its popularity stems from the fact that it’s easy to conceal, the vapor disappears almost immediately, and the odor doesn’t linger.
Some of the facts to keep in mind:
- The JUUL has two components: the bottom part is the device, which includes the battery and temperature regulation system, and the top part is the e-liquid cartridge that you stick into the device.
- The JUUL launched two years ago and is currently the most popular e-cigarette on the market. It generated $224 million in retail sales from November 2016 to November 2017.
- There are over 50,000 posts under the hashtag #Juul on Instagram alone.
- The nicotine content is 0.7mL (or 59 mg/mL) per pod, which is approximately equivalent to one pack of cigarettes, or 200 puffs.
- The JUUL device costs between $35 to $50 and a package of four JUUL pods cost $15.99.
The JUUL delivers one of the highest concentrations of nicotine in comparison to any other e-cig on the market. Parents have reason to be concerned about the impact of nicotine, health risks, and addiction.
So how do we have successful conversations with youth about the hazards of vaping? We learn the facts and start the conversation. Parents, stay informed and talk to your children. Ask them what they know about vaping and follow them on social media. Ask their teachers how kids are using these products and what the school policies are. The more you know, the better informed you will be when talking to your child.