Being proactive and adequately managing your asthma can help reduce the impact of Covid-19 on your health. However, COVID-19 can affect your respiratory system and trigger an asthma exacerbation.
Adequately manage your asthma by the following:
- Talking to your healthcare provider about completing or updating your Asthma Action Plan
- Identifying early warning signs and triggers to prevent a severe asthma exacerbation
- Asking your pharmacist to explain how your asthma medications work
- quick relief medication – should always be with you used for symptom relief
- controller medication – taken daily as directed
- Practicing the proper way to use your inhaler, some prefer using a spacer with a metered dose inhaler to help deliver the medication into the lungs. Take your asthma medication as prescribed
- Avoiding smoking or vaping or being around people who are smoking or vaping If you have been exposed to or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, contact your healthcare provider for assistance.
To learn more about the impact of COVID-19 on asthma or to talk with a certified asthma educator, call (724) 772-1750 or complete the contact form.