When you have COPD it can be a struggle just getting air in and out of your lungs. Not taking in enough calories can cause you to lose muscle mass and strength, so you need to get the most nutrition and calories in every bite. Here are a few tips to try:
- Eat more often. Small meals help because you may become too full too fast when you eat a larger meal. Being too full can also make breathing harder. To save energy, make smaller meals that are quick and easy to prepare. Try: Turkey pita with cheese and fresh avocado.
- Fatten it up. Fats help you breathe easier because they make less carbon dioxide, which may already be trapped in your lungs. Try: Peanut butter, almond butter or hummus on whole wheat bread. Use full-fat mayo or dressings for your salad or sandwich.
- Pour on the protein. Proteins help build up lost muscle mass. Try: Make a batch of hard-boiled eggs to add to meals or to eat as a quick snack.
- Get fruity. Rich in fiber, vitamins and calories, fruit is easy to find all year round. Don’t eat too much, though, because fruit can pack a lot of sugar. Try: Dried fruit has less water so mix your favorites with some nuts for a great and filling snack.
- PB&J has it all. Easy to make, cheap and healthy. Have a glass of whole milk with it!
So there you have it. Eat better, breathe easier and enjoy life!