Start the New Year on the right foot by quitting smoking! Whether it’s your first try or your tenth, you can do it with the right tools and resources! Start with these steps:
- Choose a quit day (and tell people about it!) – Pick a day a few weeks in advance so you have time to prepare. The day should be one that won’t be overly stressful or busy. Tell family and friends about your plans so they can provide you support and you will feel accountable.
- Get rid of reminders – Toss out cigarettes, lighters, ashtrays and anything else that reminds you of smoking. Give your home and car a nice cleaning to get rid of the tobacco smell.
- Talk to your doctor – Discuss what methods or medicines may be right for you with your doctor. There are many prescription and over-the-counter medicines that may be helpful to you in quitting.
- Have a plan for cravings – Have a plan and some ideas in place before you quit to help you cope when you get a craving. Read our blog post on resisting cravings for some helpful ideas.
- Get support – Counseling or support groups can help you through the process of quitting. Consider our Smoke-Free for Life program to help you successfully quit.
Remember that while quitting is hard, your body will start to reap the benefits within 20 minutes of your last cigarette! Please visit breathepa.org or give us a call at 1-800-220-1990 for help quitting today!