Pursed lip breathing is a simple breathing technique to help control shortness of breath. It works by slowing your breathing pace, allowing each breath to work more effectively.
How does this technique work?
- Get in a comfortable sitting position and relax your neck and shoulder muscles
- Breathe in through your nose
- Purse your lips as if you were about to blow out a candle or whistle
- Breathe out slowly through your pursed lips
- Repeat until breathing returns to normal
Remember to breathe out gently and to breathe out for longer than you breathe in.
Practice this technique a few times each day to get the hang of it. Use pursed lip breathing during strenuous activities or whenever you start to feel short of breath.